The Suzie the Scientist early reader series is a new take on levelled readers, linking reading development directly to the Australian Curriculum: Science.
The 24 book series features an engaging “cool” scientist (Suzie) who presents interesting scientific facts to engage kids, support schools and empower parents to explore and discuss scientific concepts with children while developing and improving their reading literacies and fluency.
The books are specifically written to link directly with classroom learning and align to learning outcomes across the three strands and four sub-strands of the Australian Curriculum: Science.
The books are available in print-form, as well as an online format and as video/audio books for use in the classroom free of charge for every full set of print books purchased. Fully interactive e-books, for use on tablet devices at home or at school, are also available from the Apple iBooks Store.
Key features of the Suzie the Scientist Early Reader Series
Affordability – the print version series is up to 50% cheaper than comparable early readers. Complimentary online and video/audio books are available free of charge.
- Each book in the 24 book series is a 16 page, full-colour publication spanning PM reading levels 1-24. Comparable sets of home readers from commercial suppliers can be more than double the cost of this series. For example, the PM Science Facts and PM Maths series (Cengage Publishing) are $200.40 for a set of 24 early reader books (16 page full-colour) – more than double the cost of the Suzie the Scientist series!
- In addition, complimentary online and video/audio books are also available to schools for use in the classroom – free of charge!
Use as home readers or for guided reading groups in the classroom
- The books have been successfully trialled in schools as quality additions to both home reader and guided reader collections. The pre-, post– and during-reading prompts are combined with introductions to interesting scientific facts and ideas (from Suzie the Scientist) to assist teachers and parents to facilitate reading development while at the same time developing scientific literacy.
Available in multiple modes – print, online, video, interactive e-books
- The Suzie the Scientist early reader series is available in print format to complement existing home reader and guided reader collections.
- Online and video/audio formats are also available free of charge for use in the classroom with every set of print books purchased. These come complete with full narration and Suzie the Scientist voice-over.
- Fully interactive e-books with narration and Suzie the Scientist character voice-over are also available for use on tablet devices at home or in the classroom.
- Check out each format here: print, online, video/audio books, interactive e-books.
Linked directly to the Australian Curriculum: Science
- Each book aligns to learning outcome statements (i.e. Descriptors) from the Australian Curriculum: Science.
- Unlike other science-based early readers, equal emphasis is placed across all four sub-strands (Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Earth and Space Sciences and Physical Sciences) – six books for each sub-strand!
- In addition, all three strands of the Australian: Curriculum Science are addressed – i.e. Science Understanding, Science as a Human Endeavour and Science Inquiry Skills
Overt involvement and empowerment of parents in the home reading process
- Detailed scientific information is provided to empower parents to engage children in exploratory conversations about science. This information is directly linked to classroom learning via the Australian: Curriculum: Science
- Before-, during– and after– reading strategies equip parents to actively support their child’s emerging literacy
- Interesting scientific facts presented in a visually engaging way by Suzie the Scientist spark children’s interest and provide additional ideas for parents to discuss with children
Written by Australian educators for Australian classrooms
- The 24 book series is written specifically for Australian schools and homes and is linked to current classroom activities
- Storylines use exclusively Australian contexts and content
- The authors have collaboratively drawn on their experiences as science educators, early childhood teachers and parents to create an interesting and diverse range of books to connect scientific concepts to everyday contexts that children (and parents and teachers!) can relate to.
Levelled reader series
- The 24 books are levelled across PM reading levels 1-24 and Fountas and Pinnell levels A-O
- Learning outcomes (from the Australian Curriculum: Science) are levelled from Foundation – Year 2
Addresses both reading and scientific literacies
- Consistent sentence structure and use of high frequency words appropriate to each reading level help children develop fluency, comprehension and vocabulary
- Key scientific words are introduced for discussion prior to reading and in context to help children extend their reading vocabulary
- Images and labelled scientific diagrams visually emphasise key concepts, create visual associations for children (words to images) and support both reading development and scientific literacies.
Download Book List & Summaries
If you want to view the full set of titles or read a summary of each book, please enter your name and email address below.
Thank you. Please check your email in a minute.
Please double check your details.